The ketogenic diet, also known as the keto diet, is a high-fat,moderate-protein, and low-carbohydrate diet that has gained popularity in recent years. The goal is to put your body into a state of ketosis, in which it uses stored fat as its primary source of fuel instead of glucose from carbohydrates.
Typically getting 70-80% of your daily calories from fat, 10-20% from protein, and 5-10% from carbohydrates. This means drastically reducing your intake of carbohydrates, such as bread, pasta, rice, and sugar, and replacing them with healthy fats like avocados, nuts, seeds, and oils.
When you drastically reduce your carbohydrate intake, your body will begin to burn stored fat for energy instead of glucose. This process of burning fat for energy produces ketones, which can be used by the body for fuel. This state of ketosis is what the keto diet aims to achieve.
Some potential benefits include weight loss, improved blood sugar control, increased energy levels, and reduced inflammation. However, the keto diet is not suitable for everyone and may have some potential drawbacks, including nutrient deficiencies, constipation, and the “keto flu” during the initial transition period.
It’s important to talk to a healthcare professional before starting especially if you have any underlying health conditions or take medication that may be affected by a low-carbohydrate diet
Tips that will help you stay on track with the keto diet:
- Plan your meals: Meal planning is a key factor in maintaining a keto diet. Make a weekly meal plan, create a shopping list, and prep your meals in advance. This can help you stay on track and avoid making unhealthy food choices.
- Choose keto-friendly foods: Focus on incorporating keto-friendly foods into your meals, such as avocados, nuts, seeds, non-starchy vegetables, and healthy fats like olive oil and coconut oil.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water can help you feel full and avoid cravings. It can also help prevent dehydration, which can be a common side effect of the diet.
- Don’t be too strict: It’s important to stick to the diet, but don’t be too hard on yourself if you slip up occasionally. Allow yourself some flexibility and make adjustments as needed.
- Get support: Joining a support group or finding a keto buddy can help you stay motivated and accountable. You can also find helpful resources online, such as recipes and meal plans.
Remember that the keto diet may not be suitable for everyone, and it’s important to consult with a healthcare professional before making any significant dietary changes.
*My Personal Tips*
“Keto after 50” – This book answered a lot of my questions https://amzn.to/3yDRIEH
“Keto Diet Cookbook For beginners 2023” -I have so many Keto Cookbooks but the last one I got is the best. https://amzn.to/3JHDfhx
“Keto Cheat Sheet” -This is a must I wish I would have known about this. I had notes everywhere but where I needed them. https://amzn.to/3mSXdNj
Walmart Great Value Brand =No Calorie Sweetener made from Sucralose 50 packets in a yellow box. This is a excellent sweetener with no funny taste. It tastes like sugar.